9. Duke Of Sussex won last year running off a merit rating of 94 and he was drawn 27 out of 27. He has had excuses in his last three runs so could be ready to run a good race off a competitive merit rating of 100 from a nice high draw of 18 out of 23.
Celtic Rumours is a talented filly who is on the up and she must have a fine chance in the WSB Grand Heritage under Richard Fourie (JC Photos)
THe WSB Grand Heritage over 1475m at The Vaal has the biggest field of any race in South Africa and they jump at 15H45 tomorrow (Saturday).
1. Smorgasbord ran a 2,15 length third in one of his attempts beyond sprints in the Gr 2 IOS Drill Hall Stakes over 1400m last year and he has also dropped to a competitiove mark, so he is a fascinating runner having this third run after a layoff, although he did finish last in his last start over 1450m which is a dampener.
2. Sun Blushed has won over 1400m and comes off a good 1200m run off this same mark, so he has fair credentials although his low draw might be a concern.
3. Val D’Orcia has performed well a number of times from 1400m to 1450m so coming off a good win he has a chance from a high draw and off the same merit rating that he won the Gr 2 Post Merchants off.
4. Whafeef finished a two length third last year off a 95 but is now ten points higher in the merit ratings.
5. Pyromaniac has a good turn of foot and is effective over this trip so from an outside draw with Strydom up he could be a big runner.
6. Cabinet Shuffle should be cherry ripe and is an interesting runner off a competitive merit rating over a trip he should handle.
7. Bon Vivant has a nice middle draw and is competitively merit rated and stays the trip, so looks to be a big runner.
8. Celtic Rumours is on the up and distance suited so looks to also be a big runner from a high draw.
10. Unzen has class and looks to have dropped to a dangerous mark so is another one in which a chance over a suitable trip, but his low draw could be a concern.
11. Solar Power has run poorly in two starts on the Highveld, but has his third run after a layoff and could bounce back.
12. Paisley Park is distance suited and should be cherry ripe and as one who is hard to win with this big field should suit as it gives him a chance to leave his run for as late as possible.
13. Silent War is the deserved favourite is. He has impressed in his trot of four wins in succession from 1160m to 1600m. Considering he always does his best work late this big field event down the straight should suit him, but it remains to be seen whether his lowish draw of six will be disadvantageous or not.
14. Another Level has hit form at the right time and is off a competive merit rating over a suitable trip.
15. Chyavana finished a decent 3,25 length fifth last year but is now seven points higher in the merit ratings.
16. Black Egret is consistent but will have to be ridden conservatively over a trip which will likely stretch him.
17. Zuzan is a capable sort who looks ideally distance suited, although he does have a low draw.
20. Funky Music has been in devastating form for this yard and is ideally distance suited, but the handicapper will be catching up with him.
21. Richard The First is a progressive three-year-old whose seven length third in the Gr 3 Betway Graham Beck Stakes over 1400m was decent form. However, he did finish 0,25 lengths behind Silver Tudor last time out over 1200m and is now 4kg worse off. In fact he is 5kg under sufferance according to official merit ratings.
22. Brave Viking sneaks into the handicap over an ideal trip but has draw one.
23. Silver Tudor faded late when last trying 1450m but he was handy without cover in the running that day. He sneaks into the handicap with the minimum weight, but the jury is out of his stamina capacity being by Jet Master sire Lance, who won a Listed race over 1400m, out of a Jay Peg mare whose only win was over 1200m.
24. Whispers Of War is distance suited, but is 1kg under sufferance.
25. Now I Got You should enjoy running in a big field over this suitable trip but is 2kg under sufferance.