Main Defender can take advantage of a plum draw in the Champions Cup (Picture: Candiese Lenferna Photography)
Michele Wing and the Gold Circle Team spoke to trainers involved in the Gr 1 World Pool Moment Of The Day Champion Stakes
Trainer / Jockey Comments
(Top runners in the market)
13. LUCKY LAD: “I’m very happy with him and his preparation has gone well. We decided to give him a 10 day break after his last run, to freshen him up. He’s done all we’ve asked of him. We’ve got to jump from a deep draw which is a bit of a concern, but Richard is a true professional and between the two of them, I’m sure they’ll make a plan with the draw. He can do his best work late, as we know”, Sean Tarry.
5. MAIN DEFENDER: “Unbeaten in 3 starts, including the Bloodstock SA Sales Cup (NBT) over 1300m on 01 July 2023 at Hollywoodbets Greyville. He’s highly thought of by both jockey, Gavin Lerena and trainer, Tony Peter. Whilst fancied runners in Lucky Lad and Sandringham Summit jump from wide draws of both 13 and 14, Main Defender jumps from a favourable draw of 5. This is a step-up for him, but he’s a classy sort”, Racing News.
14. SANDRINGHAM SUMMIT: “He’s a quality racehorse. He had a cracking win in the Durban Golden Horseshoe. The mile shouldn’t be a problem. The worry is the draw, 14 out of 14, so we’re going to need a bit of luck in the running. Expecting a huge run from him and he’ll be right there”, David Nieuwenhuizen.
1. FRANCINE: “The only filly in the field. She’s had just 2 starts, finishing 3 lengths 3rd in a maiden plate for fillies and mares, when going the 1160m at Turffontein in May. She was beaten by older fillies that day, but six weeks later, she lined up over 1200m for 2-year-old fillies at the Vaal, winning easily by 2 lengths. She’s well bred, being by multiple champion sire, Silvano, out of the graded stakes winner, Franny. Francine is progressive, jumps from stall gate 1 and has Lyle Hewitson in the irons”, Racing News.
6. ERMELO: “Since his last start, I went and galloped him at Scottsville and he put up a nice piece of work. He’s cracked a neat draw of 6, which will help a lot. And you know that happens around the turn, dictates what happens in the straight, so the draw is important. This is a tough field, but he’s on the improve, so let’s see what happens”, Rachel Venniker.
We took the opportunity to speak to Sean Tarry about his other 3 runners in the race.
12. THE AFRICA HOUSE: “Africa House is probably second best in terms of his ability. He got cleaned up in the 1200m (grade 1 Gold Medallion) which was probably not the right race for him. He’s coming into this race fit and well, and he will be running on from a bad draw”, Sean Tarry.
4. HOTARUBI and 2. LONGSWORD: “They’ve just come out of the maidens, so they’re going to be tested. I think both of them are decent horses. They might need a bit more time to be at their absolute best, but they won’t be far off”, Sean Tarry.